watchdog

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

A WATCHDOG IN A HENHOUSE FULL OF FOXES

See the attached article from the current Memphis Flyer concerning the following appointment and my work as the Watchdog.

Myron Lowery, the longtime City Council member and temporary Mayor of Memphis after Willie Herenton's resignation, called me in September and asked if I was a member of any board or commission. I said I was not. He then asked if I would like to be and I said that depended on which board or commission. He said "How about the pension board of the City of Memphis". I said that would certainly be interesting.

Myron and I go back a few years and we are friendly. He has met several times with groups such as the effort by John Lunt to get rid of the January 2001 pension resolution and the formation of the Charter Commission. While we do not agree on every issue, I believe his repeated statements that he is for absolute transparency in government, my holy grail as far as politicians go. His performance as Chairman of the Charter Commission was outstanding, fair and balanced, and his grasp of Robert's Rule of Order demonstrated that he knows how to run an orderly and fair meeting.

Well the actual confirmation process for the only citizen member of the Pension Board turned out to be more than interesting. I was told to attend the personnel subcommittee meeting first which I did on September 1. There were a number of other potential appointees there for various jobs and they all sailed through without objection. Then my name came up and I gave a one minute resume of my life. My appointment was moved and then Janice Fullilove jumped up and said that she would like to have the appointment delayed. Harold Collins agreed with Janice but eventually I was approved (3 to 2, Flinn, Strickland and Hedgepeth) as the appointment was subject to a full City Council vote two weeks hence.

On September 15, I showed up at the full City Council meeting dressed in my best sport coat and tie. Most of the meeting was devoted to the effort to get rid of the current City Attorney, Elbert Jefferson. Then a curious thing happened as Allan Wade, the City Council Attorney, opined that the City Charter required seven votes (a majority of the full 13 members rather than a majority of those present and voting) for approval of the motion to get rid of Jefferson. This opinion torpedoed the effort and Jefferson was retained.

Eventually my appointment to the pension board came up and two union members spoke about how my serving on the board would undermine morale, harm widows and children and generally threaten world peace. Barbara Swearengen Ware agreed and I requested a prompt vote so I could return home and continue beating my wife.

A vote did eventually come and somehow I won on a 6 to 5 margin. As I was leaving City Hall, I was called back and told that I lost as Allan Wade said I needed 7 votes, not just a 6 to 5 margin of those present and voting.

In my response to Ware and the union members, I pointed out that I was the only non interested (public) member of the incestuous pension board. I had no authority to change pension rules and I was only one chicken in a henhouse full of seven foxes. Alas, my pleas fell on long pointy deaf ears.


 


 


 


Click here to read the current article in the flyer about the watchdog

1 Comments:

  • I really wish there had been a quorum at that meeting. You deserve that position.

    If A.C. has any sense, he'll take Myron's cue and give you another shot at it.

    By Blogger autoegocrat, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home